What’s Missing to Advance Your Career?
by Kevin D. Crone
What’s missing to advance your career and be worth more in the market place? You’re normal if you’re up for your success and happiness more than anyone else’s, even your organization’s. As a matter of fact, research says only 37% of Canadians are engaged in their company. Their hearts and minds aren’t in it. So what are they engaged in? Their lives – their interests.
The missing and opportunity to getting ahead is becoming engaged and valuable to your company and the marketplace it operates in. If you do, you will stand out. You’ll be appreciated and of even more value. An old saying states that the market pays you what you’re worth. The point: Be worth more!
After the basic job knowledge and doing what has to be done every day is covered, here are some insights to help you determine what makes you valuable and worth more.
- All organizations are faced with waking up their business in a competitive, tougher, ever-changing marketplace. Things are not the same. Those who can inquire into what the changes are – try to understand them, and give insights into what they see can help, are valued immensely.
- They create or participate in some form of learning teams and participate, speak up, listen well, and always show enthusiasm. They lead with influence even though they may not have the title or power.
- They really get how the business works and where it’s going so they know how to contribute.
- They can tell compelling stories about what has to be done to improve and why, and can interrupt people’s thinking effectively without criticism or blaming. They demonstrate relevance when answering questions because they listen and know what’s going on.
- They connect to different types of people and cultures.
- They can sell or influence anyone as to the story of their company’s offering to the marketplace.
- They are producers – not consumers of time, waiting for marching orders.
All organizations are faced with the shortage of leadership. Those who can influence people to advance the business – advance their career. Most people are too reserved, passive, argumentative, or hide behind their screens. The opening here is to focus on leading others. It’s a public world of presentations, meetings, public forums, debates and tweets. Those who stand out speak freely, express their thoughts, and overcome anxieties that have to do with how they’re perceived by other people. They never criticize, condemn or complain. They’re liked and respected and are heard.
How about you? Are you really the engaged, leader, team influencer and connected communicator you can be?
To Reboot your Leadership:
- Find out how your business works and where it’s going.
- Get better at being a coach and an influencer with teams.
- Don’t give into problems, frustrations and busyness. Remember, garbage in – garbage out. Don’t succumb to garbage in your mind. Constantly wake yourself up. Find a group that’s getting better and join it.
- Don’t wait to be told what to do. Figure out what the business needs. Write up a plan and present it. Doers move up!
- Anticipate what your manager needs. Try to be a step ahead. Do things before being asked. Your value will go through the roof.
Have a great week!
Not a Monday Morning Mentor subscriber yet?
Email to subscribe: firstname.lastname@example.org
Read past issues in the Monday Morning Mentor Blog.
Visit us at www.dalecarnegie.ca
For more Monday Morning Mentor blogs, events and resources!