How to Have Your Best Holiday Season Ever!
by DC Editor
Here are some practical tips to help you through the holidays.
When talking to relatives who you haven’t seen in a while …
- Prepare ahead of time. Ask close relatives about events, issues, challenges family members may have been facing since you saw them last.
- Begin in a friendly way.
- Begin with praise and honest appreciation
- Become genuinely interested in them.
- Be a good listener and encourage them to talk about themselves.
- If possible, keep it light. It’s OK to use small talk.
Having a great time at holiday parties…
- Dress appropriately. Ask what the expected dress code is and plan your outfit ahead of time. Better yet, treat yourself to something new!
- Have Conversation Topics ready. In the Dale Carnegie Course®, we teach the Conversation Stack. Here is the special Holiday Version: Name, Live, Family, Holiday Plans, Travel, Work, Hobbies, Goals/New Year’s Resolutions.
- Try to visit with a few people. Spend enough time with people to show interest and have meaningful conversations.
- Limit your consumption of alcohol – for health, safety and reputation.
- Relax and have fun.
Happy Holidays from the Dale Carnegie Ontario & Maritimes Team!
For more great tips throughout the holiday season, visit the Dale Carnegie Business Group: