25 Thoughts About Business, Selling and Success . . . that make up a philosophy (Part II)
by Kevin D. Crone
In last week’s Monday Morning Mentor, I reviewed the first 13 of 25 thoughts based on my experience coaching executives and teams. I will now continue with the following 12 thoughts.
14) In about 118 seconds you are tuned out. You need to say things that get and keep attention and ultimately solve your customer’s problems, then you will be heard.
15) A brand is just a promise made and kept to a customer. So focus on your promises.
16) You need to rent an instigator. One large client dubbed me the interrupter. You need someone to put life into your business and sales. You need someone to hear you sell, observe you, then coach you. Call your team. Talk to them. Advise and coach them. You will see what I mean if you do this. Don’t be cheap. Put money into building your people and you will increase the capacity of your business to hit larger visions and goals. If you don’t do it, your vision and margins will be in the toilet.
17) The big recession wiped out any chance of an easy “yes”. Be proud that you are possessed with the future you are creating, where you are going and what you are selling. Think you can do it without tons of effort. Lazy people drag us down with them. Don’t hang with them. Don’t even hang with yourself if you are one of them.
18) Know your presentation – know your audience. Never wing it. You aren’t that good!
19) Buyers want to know things quickly. Moses got it down to two tablets, five bullet points each. We have to know the five or six issues clients face, what they mean and what a client has to do.
20) You are in charge of your own success – there is no white knight coming. Find a horse and ride it. Do you see a leader in the mirror? If you can’t lead who will? You are in trouble if it isn’t you. No one gives a darn about you! You need to lead you.
21) No great vision will work unless responsibility and accountability by a strong leader is behind it. You have to be yourself, your own style, or you will lack sincerity.
22) Leaders climb to the top of the highest tree, assess the situation, and set the direction. The leader then discusses how to proceed and what the team needs and with the managers, the leader proceeds to assemble, organize and run the team who do the cutting. Then they climb the tree again, keep reading the signs, looking for opportunities and problems. If the leader is too involved in the day-by-day activities and cannot see the forest for the trees, they will fail to anticipate success in business and build on it. You won’t win more and grow. Balance thinking and action. Every business can survive with a little “ready, fire, aim… GO for it!” Every business leader must take these risks, move quickly and be smart.
23) To know and do nothing is the worst sin.
24) We get paid for bringing value to the marketplace. Money comes from value not banks, or capitalization.
25) One day you will wear silk underwear if you think through your success philosophy and act from it. Work on your success philosophy not just what you want.
Have a great week!
Kevin D. Crone
Chairman, Dale Carnegie Business Group
firstname.lastname@example.org or 905-826-7300 / 1-800-361-2032
SIGN UP TO RECEIVE THE MONDAY MORNING MENTOR!
For owner/managers/sales managers…
Unique help is on the way! Here is your safe place to rethink.
Here is a big and powerful suggestion to ignite your business and your sales.
Join a handful of successful companies and leaders, with some of your team for half a day, at our Centre of Excellence. We will help re-ignite your business so you and your team can re-ignite your customers – period.
As a participant…
- You will rethink how you are going to take the hill, go to market with a differentiated offering that matches up with your customers changing motives. Bring a marketing-type with you.
- I will get you to climb the tree and help you assess the trends and what’s going on in your industry and then figure out what new, bold messages will get your customers attention.
- You will be re-positioned with a new story that truly differentiates you.
- You will prepare your salespeople for bigger deals by giving them new insights and points of view that cause your customers to see issues that they didn’t realize they had.
You need to lead, invest a little time, and go for it – despite being busy, distracted, and overwhelmed in this complex business world. Even though you may not realize you need what I am offering, or this is not resonating because you may not want to do any rethinking that interrupts all the initiatives you are into, believe me, you need this work!
I promise, you will see that within a half hour and will be excited about what you come up with. The fact is, you are too consumed in the business; instead you need to be objective… as they say, no doctor can heal themselves.
What this means, is that repeat business and getting big sales through marketing isn’t working well. Salespeople are ill prepared to go up the hill. “Sell damn it”, doesn’t work like it used to. These are real trends.
So join me! You will be different. Your offering, story and sales approaches will be refreshed. I have tons of experience at business design and coaching for behaviours, and if you have the commitment to grow despite all the things going on, despite being so busy, despite trying to get buy-in and alignment for any change and all the rest of it, you will get new momentum.
Reach me now. I’m a bit presumptuous with this offering but that is because I am doing this work now with some Ontario businesses and see the need.
Let me hear what’s going on with you, then I can give you advice on what you can do. Whether you join me or not, this is not the time to be reserved, cynical or scared to talk to people who can help. Take a minute and contact me.
cell: 905-330-9023 office: 905-826-7300 / 1-800-361-2032